Thursday, August 26, 2010

WHO AM I???

If you're ever considering entering the workforce directly after graduation, and said workforce happens to be a university which you did NOT attend, think twice, my friend. Think twice.

I'm not saying don't do it, just remember that you still look like a college student. Seniors will probably think you're younger than them. Freshman will assume you know where everything is. And professors will think it's ok to chastise the length of your shorts and the fact that you're wearing flip-flops, thus violating the building "dress code." (Too specific of an example? It can happen, trust me.)

Anyhow, it's just odd to be out in the "real world," but still not feel like I'm welcome here. It's hard to get people to take you seriously when you haven't racked up enough life experience points to gain any credibility. And of course there's the whole awkward do-I-call-the-professors-here-by-their-first-names-or-what? On the other side of the boat, it's a little weird to creep around campus trying to find ways to help my starving social life. I don't want to be "that girl" that can't let go of college life (even though I not-so-secretly want to do senior year again.)

Long story short - life is weird, and doesn't always fit quite perfectly. Here's to hoping I'll grow into it.

1 comment:

  1. SOUNDS FAMILIAR. It totally gets easier, I promise.

    -Liz

    ps - now that I have returned to studenthood, I spend a lot of time in oversized tored-up cargo pants; it is pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete