Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a Black Chicken...

...just like the ones I used to know...

And when I say "used to know," I mean "envisioned in my head before I started this printmaking project." I'm taking a printmaking class at Concordia. Apparently, going from full-time school to absolutely no school is just too much for my little brain to handle. So I'm taking a class. For fun. Although since it's an art class, I think it actually will be fun. Or at least interesting. Perhaps devastating (DEVAstating?) if my prints turn out to be total garbage.

Our first assignment was to do an edition of 5 relief prints. That means they all have to look EXACTLY THE SAME. So I decided to do a chicken up against a picket fence. And mine do look exactly the same... if you're standing about 20 feet away. Up close, they actually look like different animals. Just kidding. It's not that bad. But it's not that good either.

At any rate, I feel good about the fact that I am, out of my own volition, learning for my own personal edification and not for 3 credits on my transcript. Hopefully I'll be able to use this experience to guilt my future children into doing the same for themselves. Except maybe they'll learn something useful, like carpentry or accounting.

So after almost 5 hours of trying to get those blasted chickens to look identical and rubbing the inked-up paper with a wooden spoon so hard I think my fingers might break, I'm done with the first assignment. Who said learning wasn't fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment