Friday, February 1, 2013

25 things I've learned since being 25

One of my very dear friends texted me a few minutes ago and jokingly told me that when she sees me tomorrow she expects to hear 25 things I've learned since being 25. And I got to thinking, I DO learn a lot everyday, so why not try it? So, these 25 things are not all things that I have learned in the last 3 days since I've been 25, but they are definitely things I've learned over the last 25 years.

1. The relationships you have with others are invaluable. You never know what person is going to come out of the woodwork and change your life forever.

2. Confidence is 70% of life. The other 30% is the effort  you put into making yourself confident about things.

3. It's sometimes OK to receive, especially when you give. You can't spend your life helping everyone else and then not accept assistance when it's offered. That's just dumb.

4. Your career isn't the thing that is probably going to bring you the most joy. For a small portion of the population it is, but for the rest of us poor schmucks, we have to be satisfied with our hobbies, families and friends to keep us happy.

5. Flossing is important. I don't not do it anymore. (see number 2.)

6. Optimism is not naive, especially when it makes you try harder.

7. Anger is very useful and often spurs you try harder. (see number 6.)

8. Being wrong does not necessarily mean you're wrong. Rather, it's better to have tried and failed than to never try at all.

9. Sunshine and color can change your mood and your thoughts for the better.

10. Little luxuries are important, and in my opinion, necessary whenever doable.

11. Being disappointed in others will only leave you feeling alone. People will have to figure it out for themselves. Hopefully until this time, you can find enough reserved comfort in yourself to carry on.

12. Very few people are truly mean, most of them are just terribly mistreated and terribly sad.

13. When you wait for the other shoe to drop (metaphorically) sometimes you wait a long time. Don't assume the worst. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, things do work out.

14. There is not a "right" choice. Half of the decisions we make on a daily basis are luck, the other half were never choices to begin with.

15. If you want something very badly, don't dwell too much. There is a world full of people happening and living all around you- maybe you'll miss the something you're waiting for while you're too busy waiting.

16. Keep a part of yourself for yourself. It doesn't matter who you love or who or spend the rest of your life with or who your best friend is, was, or will be. You are the constant in your own life, spend some time with you.

17. Appreciate the things you have. Believe me, I know what bleak looks like. Even when I get so scared that something terrible will happen, I remind myself that I have resources and relationships and a team of people who love me. You probably do too. Don't forget that.

18. Your life will not probably run on time or according to plan. The plan is that there is not a plan. And that's coming from the Master Planner herself. Embrace it, or spend the rest of your life with your tushy draggin' on the ground while your life pulls you along. (Personally I prefer the no rug-burn route!)

19. When you can find the humor in dark places, you are totally fine.

20. Don't be afraid to meet new people. All of my good friends were once complete strangers, and most of these poor strangers were the unlucky recipients of me forcing myself into their lives.

21. Try not to let everyone know how bad it gets sometimes. Once you're that raw, it's very hard to step back from them. Make sure it's real when you go there.

22. Show up. When you say you'll do something, do it. And don't agree to do things you're not comfortable with.

23. Try not to be too critical of yourself, but be a little bit critical of yourself. Everything in moderation.

24. Tell other people that they're good at something. Just do it. You never know who needs a little extra nudge.

25. Be kind. There was never a situation that didn't call for kindness in some capacity.

So there you have it. 25 things. Maybe in another 25 I can add some more. Mostly I'm just going to try to appreciate most everything that comes my way, and the things I can't appreciate I will try to forget quickly.

Have a sparkly weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment