Friday, June 1, 2012

B

Once upon a time at our local DCFS office, there worked a wonderful receptionist. You see, often times the people I talk to on the phone are not so happy. Either they are sad, they are scared or they are just plain annoyed to hear from me. But not this person, no "B", as we will call her, is always happy to hear from me.

I don't know how she does it. I want to be her.

This complete stranger not only goes out of her way to help me, but did so much as to mail me some releases I sent over to be signed weeks previously. Attached was a post-it that had written on it "Smile, Devin." Along with this message was a rainbow and a smiley face sun. I hung the post-it above my desk. (Do you think she knows how frazzled I am? haha)

Often times I feel vulnerable at work, but it's nice to know that people can be kind, and moreover, people can be unnecessarily kind.

I called her and thanked her profusely and she just giggled and said, "That tiny little sun took me a couple minutes. I'm glad you liked it."  I feel like she's my ally, but I don't even know what she looks like.  I don't know how else to thank this stranger, except to write a blog post about her.... and tell her I appreciate her  and her kindness, and send it out into the universe. (If anyone else has any more suggestions that are not creepy, please comment.)

I don't know about you, but I'm going to strive to send a little more "B" like gestures out into the universe.  Kind is in, didn't you know? It's like I tell the kids at work, "You don't have to like someone or even know them to be kind to them."

So, goodnight, dear B, whoever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment