Thursday, February 24, 2011

Don't You Dare!

Recently I had a bad day. Now, bad days are fewer and farther between for me right now, which is totally great, but this one was particularly annoying. I won't get into the gruesome details, but suffice it to say I had a conversation with someone who makes me doubt myself. This person is not a bad person but just has that uncanny ability to make me want to jump off the nearest bridge.

The subject matter of the conversation isn't important. What is important is that when it was over, I was second-guessing myself and everything I've worked for in the past few months. Trying to be more independent. Finding contentment in leading the single life. Creating happiness out of whatever I have around me. These are goals which I still strive toward and for someone to step in my way is really quite unacceptable. The lovely Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." (I know, I hate cliche quotes, but this one works so well.) When someone causes those sickening feelings of self-doubt to come creeping over your shoulder, there is a problem. Please, please, if you are in any sort of relationship where this happens, consider not being in it. It doesn't matter if it's a friendship, an acquaintance-ship, a romantic relationship or whatever. No one should make you feel inferior without your consent.

So do what it takes to find your own confidence. Stand up for yourself. Surround yourself with people who are supportive and loving. Know who you are and don't be afraid to stick to your guns in the heat. Don't you dare let anyone make you think you are small or useless.

Ok, ok, getting off my soapbox now. One last thing though. I recently rediscovered this song and I think it's incredibly sparkly. So listen to the words and then hang out with people who would say all of this about you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment