Monday, December 13, 2010

Printmaking, or, What I've Been Doing with my Spare Time for the Past Fifteen Weekends

I've surpassed the 6 month mark in Seward, ladies and gentlemen. Somedays I'm amazed I've made it this far. Especially with the lack of social life. (aka, I have few friends. Come visit!) But, it hasn't ALL been one self-thrown pity party. No, I've been productive. Not only do I have a full-time job, I thought it would be fun to take a class too. And I have to say, it was fun. Rarely will you hear me say this, but I'm not being sarcastic. It was one of the best classes I've ever taken! My teacher was a baller, I got to play with art supplies AND I have these fun creations to show off. Granted, none of them will be going in MoMA anytime soon, but I'm still proud in a "Look Mom! Put this on the refrigerator" sort of way. Check 'em out! Hope you enjoy my brainchildren.

Yes, this is the infamous lobster I've talked to many of you about. I call it... "Lobster."

Here is a 6-color screenprint. Probably one of my favorite techniques, because you get to use lots of color and a squeegee.

The very first print I ever attempted. After several hours and many gouges in my fingers from the carving tool, the response I got from my teacher was, "I feel like I'm spying on this chicken with nightvision goggles."

An etching of the wood grain in my dresser drawer. Sorta kinda successful.

Probably one of my favorites, although I think the top part is better than the bottom. Etched that baby into a copper plate, boo-yah!

Photo lithography was not my friend. Womp.

Three-color screenprint. I feel as though this is not particularly inspiring, but still rather pretty.

This wasn't an assignment, just me playing around with the old type stamps at my teacher's house when we went there to use a special press.

Literally all of the light fixtures in my grandmother's house. Except for the chandelier. I just made that up for kicks.

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this adventure into my "art." Thanks for scrolling!

1 comment: